Friday, July 12, 2019

Review: Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen: A Novel

Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen: A Novel Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen: A Novel by Sarah Bird
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Progress update: I was absolutely loving this book...until characters went completely out of character in order to drive the inevitable romance forward with eye-rolling tropes. Now no one seems to care whether Cathy's caught out. Sigh. I should finish in a day or two. Full review to come then.

~~~

Full Review:

Well, I guess I probably set myself up for disappointment with this one. I just wanted so badly to love it, but in the end it fell into a bunch of corny romance-y tropes that just lost me--though I want to emphasize that said tropes are totally valid and may well be what others absolutely love, so if this sounds like a book you want to read, please don't let me deter you! It's definitely worth it, and I'm still glad I read it.

The writing style was absolutely beautiful, a perfect balance of dialect with the intelligence and wisdom that came from Cathy's upbringing with a remarkable family and an educated father from the North. I appreciated that Cathy never learned to read and write for herself--so often that's treated as a turning point for a character, and as a reader I do understand that, but literacy is also an immense privilege that not everyone can have, and it's important to see that illiteracy and a lack of formal education in no way takes from the worth and strength of remarkable people.

The historicity of people and events seems impeccable, though I don't know enough details about this time period (a big part of my attraction to the book) to know for sure. It seems a bit convenient that Cathy/Cathay's troop (view spoiler), but at least there was still some discussion about the conflicting feelings some soldiers may have felt about their mission.

The book was suspenseful and agonizing in a way that many woman-disguised-as-a-man books are not. It seems that most of those books gloss over the realities of just how dangerous it was to be a woman in the past and the potentially brutal consequences if the character is caught. That agony of always being on the edge of discovery was palpable, and I was glad that my commuting time for reading gave me some breaks.

There was so much to love in the first two thirds of this book...but unfortunately it's time to get back to my disappointment. I can pinpoint the exact moment where everything went off the rails for my personal brand of enjoyment: page 282.

I'd resigned myself early to the fact that we *had* to have a love interest, because of *course* no woman is complete without a perfect man in her life. Cathy's quick bond with a dying soldier in the early pages of the book was believeable enough to me, someone who has made fast--if temporary--friends in unfamiliar new situations. I'd also kind of accepted that it might be possible for Cathy to have a major crush in spite of her constant anxiety about being found out, and to a few stupid actions in the name of love. I thought that Cathy's early, failed encounters with the love interest were realistic responses and well done, so I had hope for a more realistic ending.

Instead, oh boy. I'm going to get really specific with the spoilers here, so stop reading now if you have any interest in this book.

(view spoiler)

Ah well. Let me say again that this book was well worth the read, no matter how annoyed I was during the last third of the book. I learned so much about the "contraband" slaves in the Civil War, the Buffalo Soldiers, and--of course--Cathy Williams. It was a privilege to read about her, even if it was fiction, and I'm glad I did so. I just wish her fictional self could have had less silly romance washing out the tough, never-quit attitude her character had for most of the book.

Quotes & Comments

I didn't take many quotes because I was enjoying the writing and snark so much that I knew I'd never stop once I started. Please read through page 281 1/2!

p. 207: Not a spoiler, but I was interested in Sergeant Allbright's theory of why slavery took off. He theorizes that it's because the presence of water meant bigger crops, which meant more laborers were needed. So out west in the desert, there was no need for slaves. It's an interesting idea, and one that probably only applies to the States, since there were plenty of nomadic, desert-dwelling Biblical slave-holding societies. Of course, Egypt does also fit the pattern. Still...makes me think.

p. 214: (view spoiler)

p. 296: (view spoiler)

p. 365: (view spoiler)

p. 375: Also not a spoiler, and the only quote: "The instant that doing the right thing became a financial advantage, the mob of curs turned righteous..." Yep, ain't that the state of the world. All these corporate diversity campaigns supporting gay rights and hiring athletes of color to represent them only once it presents more of a financial gain than a potential liability. Ugh. Cynical and feels true.

And finally, what is with that useless historical note? If there's hardly anything about Cathy, I want to know everything that we do know!

Anyway, this FINALLY concludes my review. Again, all the reasons this went from awesome to annoying for me may very well be the reasons why others would love this book. The first two third are worth it. Don't let me put you off!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment