Friday, November 29, 2013

Giving Thanks

I have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I feel like this was another stand-out year for me, much as 2008 was, so this list could get a bit long.

In approximately chronological order, I am thankful for:

> My parents, for being so supportive of me this year while I was unemployed...and while I've been settling in to adult working life in New York City, and when I've moved from home to my first room, and from my first room to my first apartment.

> Miguel, Paul, and Artie, who made working at Kinnelon Pizza not just bearable but, even, fun. I hope they've managed to find new positions at places that better appreciate their hard work since I stopped working there.

> My aunt Amy, who got me in touch with Garrett Kiely, head of the University of Chicago Press...who, in turn, got me in touch with Jennifer Crewe at Columbia University Press.

> Katheryn Schell, Assistant Editor at Columbia University Press, who gave me a fantastic internship experience that taught me a lot about actual publishing and, later, a recommendation when I applied to work with two of her former colleagues at Palgrave Macmillan.

> Charlotte Maiorana, who hired me, made me welcome, and--in the all-too-short time I worked with her--gave me a great introduction to what I can look forward to in academic publishing.

> Leila, who showed me the Editorial Assistant ropes with humor and patience, answered so many questions, and who continues to be an excellent example of what I hope to become in the next few years.

> Brian and Sarah, neither of whom I expected to work for as long as I did--though I'm so glad to have had the opportunity! As awesome as Charlotte and Leila are, I'm a bit more like Sarah and Brian personality-wise, so it's been great to see how they work in publishing, too. I can learn the best from all four!

> All the other Editors and Editorial Assistants, Production Editors and Assistants, and Marketers and Marketing Assistants at Palgrave Macmillan who have welcomed me, taught me, encouraged me, and shown me how this business works. We have a fantastic team that works well together and compliments each other. In spite of some recent turnover, it really does feel like a family.

> Neline, my new apartment mate. We hit it off at New York Cares and embarked on a long and stressful apartment hunt that culminated in finding a truly fantastic apartment that I'm so happy to call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment