So I guess I have a thing for British TV mystery series. My family started watching more of what came over to Masterpiece Mystery from the BBC after Sherlock rolled through and I've found Inspector Lewis, another show to love. Where Sherlock is extreme, full of Characters-with-a-capital-C and the fantastic, Inspector Lewis is more realistic and down-to-earth, with some characters who could pass in the real world as actual people. And it airs more frequently, always a plus. Another pro is that it's kind of nice to have a show where I have to do the thinking for myself--the Sherlock fandom may have taught me a lot and gotten me thinking, but it also does a lot of thinking for me. Which has both its good and bad effects.
I watched my most recent episode of Inspector Lewis twice, a first for me with the series. It's called "Life Born of Fire" and it's on Netflix, which is where I watched it. (Inevitable spoilers, by the way--I'm not even going to bother trying not to give the whodunnit away.)
This episode gave a better picture of Sergeant Hathaway, the Benedict Cumberbatch sound-a-like who's Lewis's "better half" or "mini me"--the forensic tech can't decide which. This being a show that focuses mostly on the mystery (hurrah!), there hasn't been much character development for him in the episodes I've seen. Not that I've minded. The series is very much focused on the titular character but it's slow to reveal extraneous details even about him. When I saw Hathaway playing in a little band in a previous episode it was something of a shock to the system. You mean someone other than Lewis has a life outside of their work?
Granted, that is one of my favorite things in stories: interesting back stories for the non-main characters, the hows and whys of the people in the background. So when Alan Cumming said we'd get to know a bit more about Hathaway, I got interested...until his script had him poking the viewer's brain about why Hathaway is unmarried, lives alone, listens to chamber music, and keeps his apartment neat. Because obviously no man who is or does any of those things can be straight, is the implication.
On the one hand, interesting: I'm always interested in seeing how women and minorities are treated when they're the focus of any show (rare). On the other hand, I'm already annoyed with the stereotyping and exclusion.
The episode went on to hit non-heterosexuality high and low, with a wearylingly familiar emphasis on the latter. Some things I did appreciate:
- A female character who helps the episode pass the Bechdel test actually cites homophobia, rather than some euphemistic "discomfort" or "intolerance", as the reason a religious dean is refusing to permit a Pride march on university grounds. This character also, eventually, turns out to be straight, which is nice since you'd otherwise be forgiven for thinking, based on the episode, that people who are gay and people who aren't don't mix socially at all.
- Lewis's relatively long-lasting restraint in asking Hathaway about his orientation and reiterations that it's "none of his business"--because it isn't, and it's refreshing to have someone on TV at least acknowledging that, if only respecting it in the breech.
- Hathaway's little speech to Lewis. Paraphrasing from memory, here: "So, what? There's boys and there's girls and a line down the middle, and if you like shoes and musicals you're gay, and if you read Loaded and eat (some sort of candy/power) bars you're straight?"
- Hathaway never does come straight out and label himself. (Oops, pun.) The writer's restraint on that count is, frankly, astonishing. I was also grateful that his secret wasn't a sappy love story, and even more so that it was something that would have actually challenged and changed the character.
Some things I did not appreciate (I'll try to limit myself):
- With the possible exception of Hathaway (and only because I give him the benefit of the doubt--see the end of the post), there is not a single non-straight person who is not a flaming stereotype, a villain, or dead.
- Homosexuality means gay means men who love men. Women? What women?
- Obviously any gay man would be willing to undergo a sex change, since the only thing that matters is who they love, not their own body, autonomy, and identity. (Seriously!)
- Everyone involved in promoting gay rights is aggressively glad that the people who oppose them are dying horrible deaths. Not one, "It's sad but it is better for us," just "Good!" and "Ding dong, the witch is dead!" and the like. It's not a convenient heart attack, it's grisly murder.
- Love is made out to be the only reason you should respect someone who's gay.
I'm getting really sick of that first one: a flaming stereotype, a villain, or dead. Seems like those are the only options in TV/cinema, or at least what I've seen coming from Britain. For all they seem to be more open about homosexuality (in that it actually appears), the pop culture is littered with wink-wink homophobia. I'm not going to go into detail, but here are some of the examples that come to mind:
- Sherlock: Obviously. One "It's all fine" shackled with stereotypes (1:3, 2:2); dogged, groundless insinuations (all episodes); villainous non-straights (1:3, 2:1); lesbians who go straight for the main character (2:1) (there are hundreds of posts online breaking down that last oversimplified point).
- Downton Abbey: Thomas is pretty much evil. Maybe he gets a bit of sympathy towards the end of the last season, but he's still a homophobe's walking nightmare. (For the record, no, I will not be coming back to this show. The soap::interesting character/plot line balance has finally tipped too far even for someone with as much millennial anxiety as I have.)
- 40-something: Points for a lesbian rather than a gay man, points rescinded since she's mostly homosexual to be a joke.
- Bridget Jones 2: Saw this when my roommate watched it. Another lesbian, another joke.
- Doctor Who: Jack Harkness is wonderful for those in the know, but he's another extreme...until you get to Torchwood and get to see that there's a bit more to him than just his sex drive. And it seems like every time the Doctor is standing next to another man, there's a gay joke. Oh, and if the character's a non-straight woman, they're more likely than not going to bite the dust.
- Bend it Like Beckham: It's been a while since I've seen it, so I could be misremembering, but I think there's a decently sympathetic portrayal of a gay man, and a character gets to say that "there's nothing wrong with being a lesbian"...but again, that second one is mostly undermined by the many cheap laughs surrounding it. (Though I will admit that one of my favorite lines is, "She's not a lesbian, she's a Pisces.")
There is, however, one British film I can think of with one of the few portrayals of homosexuality that made my throat hurt (my equivalent of crying in the theater): Peter Guillam from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. For once, sexuality and a raging libido did not define the character. I don't know who was responsible for this, since my dad's read the book and tells me it wasn't in there to begin with, but I would dearly love to shake their hand and thank them.
But back to Inspector Lewis. Let's play "flaming stereotype, villain, dead," with the self-identified gay characters in this episode, shall we?
- Will: Dead. His suicide opens the episode. Relatively realistic character, but speak well of the dead and all that, right? Hathaway does say that when Will came out to him, he was under the impression that Will "thought we'd kiss and everything would be rosy" (again, paraphrased), which gave me a twinge of annoyance in the "Is it so impossible for a 14-year-old boy to want to come out to his best male friend without being sexually attracted to said friend?" department.
- F.P./Zoe: Villain. S/he's the one who spent three years having a sex change just to try to make his/her boyfriend love him/her without feeling religiously guilty. Because obviously that's a no-brainer choice to make even if you're not transsexual.
- Conan: Flaming stereotype. Prime example: "Drinks! We need lots and lots of fruity drinks with little pink umbrellas! *gasp* Did I mention I was gay?!" (again, paraphrased)
There's no apparent reason why any average person of any orientation would want to be around any of these people. They don't/barely have lives outside of their sexualities...except for Zoe, who is relegated to the usual woman's role of being there to be the grieving girlfriend for most of the episode. Conan could probably have his own blog post, for all he was a tertiary character in the episode.
I want to emphasize that he only plays so negatively in the context of the TV stereotyping culture I've already mentioned. Conan's over-the-top, in-your-face attitude is grating when it's only a notch up from the usual portrayal, but it serves an important purpose. The religious right in "Life Born of Fire" are also stereotyped and extreme (though hardly equivalent), but their voices are heard: in the religious institutions, yes, but also in the action of banning a pride march from the university and the ability to set behavioral standards for the community. The only feasible way for Conan can express his right to do and be whatever he wants is to do it loudly and obviously--he could even be deliberately exaggerating stereotypically "gay" behavior to make others uncomfortable. When he's in full, public rallying mode his mannerisms are more balanced, but when he meets Hathaway at a bar and delivers that "pink umbrellas" line, he's probably testing for a reaction. When Lewis has to bring him in for questioning, Conan's behavior is more exaggerated than ever--not a wise move with the police, of course, but as someone who's probably been dragged in front of deans quite a few times, he's probably sick of being singled out. Calculated or not, the controlled stereotypical behavior is pointed. Problem is, when almost all the other gay characters on TV act similarly, that point gets wider and wider until it's about as pointy as a watermelon.
Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't have been bothered at all if there was maybe one more average-Joe gay character. Frankly, aggressive extremes of almost anything make me a bit uncomfortable: religion, fandom, hobbies, sports, work, culture, countries... I'm generally a chill person; aggression makes me uncomfortable. (It's hard for me to watch blockbuster movies these days, when even the good guys are aggressive extremists.) But it seems as though the ensemble characters in "Life Born of Fire" couldn't be anything but--as though the writer/director was afraid the viewer would miss or disbelieve the fact that
In fact, in light of this it's almost charming that Cummings opens the episode with relatively less pernicious stereotypes for Hathaway. (Disclaimer: I say "less pernicious" as someone who is not subject to these stereotypes and, therefore, really without right to rank perniciousness.) Cleanliness, an appreciation of wine and classical music...these things would be too subtle for the writers of "Life Born of Fire" to give a gay character. At least not without throwing in some shiny purple furnishings.
I guess what's most frustrating for me is how close this episode and the shows listed above get to making statements about important topics without, ultimately, saying anything. There's a time and a place for changing the culture, it's true, but there are ways to do that without making a documentary.
- Cut back the stereotypes. Yeah, flamboyancy is going to be running high at a gay pride march, but there actually are a few homosexual people who don't live and breathe that lifestyle 24/7/52. Have one of the main secondary characters who's introduced in a neutral area not be identifiably gay at a glance, just to shake things up.
- When you have a character say a Big Idea, try to have them stick to it. 'Course saying one thing and doing another is pretty common, so time and place and all...
- Was there seriously no LGBT group on Oxford that the directors could have recruited to fill out the crowd scenes? Not only would you get some real people and real exposure, you also wouldn't end up with only fifty people representing an entire city's LGBT and allied population.
- At least have the decency to write your sex-changing individual as transgender. Cripes.
- For the love of God (how topical), if you're not going to acknowledge the "BT" part of LGBT, at least recognize the other half of homosexuality.
I'll close with a bit of a pet theory. (In the real world I'd say I have no right to say this, but since I am talking about a fictional character and I did study narratoloy, I think I can get away with it.) The show ultimately seems to say that Hathaway is straight. He kisses and intends to sleep with a woman (yeah, before he know she's a *woman (if she doesn't still identify as male) (did I use the * right?)) and he shows up in the last scene carrying the two items he associated with being straight: a copy of the porn magazine Loaded and the candy/power bar with the name I can't for the life of me remember. But if I hadn't just written hundreds of words about the ham-fisted handling of homosexuality in the episode, I'd be inclined to think that Hathaway was some gradient of asexual.
I have a few reasons for this, but the main one is that scene in the car with Lewis, when Hathaway, exasperated, tells the DI to go ahead and ask ask him about his sexuality already. Most people would take that opportunity to identify. Hathaway had just admitted how cruel he'd been to his old friend, who'd come out to him when they were fourteen. Being gay would be a comparatively easy admission, and one that Hathaway, with his Oxford education, would definitely link to the now-shameful event he'd just described. Being straight is seen as normal and normative, so it's not like it would be a burden to give up that information.
Asexuality, on the other hand, is still widely unknown and unrecognized. I've heard otherwise intelligent people say that it doesn't exist, that an asexual person couldn't survive, and that asexual people are essentially plants (which isn't even accurate--most plants reproduce sexually). I've read about people who were told their asexuality was a mental or physical disorder, the result of trauma or abuse, the result of bad sex or no sex. Fact is, people who are asexual were born asexual with the same relative frequency that people who are straight were born straight and people who are homosexual were born homosexual. But asexuality dismissal doesn't just come from straight people--it can come from anyone who grew up with a sexual mindset, which is most of the world's population. This means that even many LGBT communities aren't welcoming, safe places for asexuals. I'm not saying this to knock them; it's just a sad-but-true fact, for the time being.
And here we have Hathaway talking about "a line down the middle" instead of answering a question he gave Lewis permission to ask. There are other ways he could identify, of course, but I'm inclined to lean toward the one that would require more explanation than he'd probably be comfortable with giving. Yeah, he goes home with Zoe, but being asexual doesn't necessarily mean never having sex. There's generally nothing but our minds stopping us from sleeping with anyone regardless of our orientation, after all.
That closing scene gave me such mixed feelings. I was so, so grateful that Hathaway hadn't identified: it left the show open for interpretation and didn't leave me feeling locked out of the entire episode. But I did feel let down by what felt like "reassurance" from the script that, no, don't worry, we don't have to be sympathetic to someone who's gay from now on. Because really, the simple reading of the episode that most viewers would give it does leave us with straight-as-rail Hathaway. I might see the magazine and snack as a joke at his own expense to thank and apologize to Lewis, but wouldn't most people see it as Hathaway admitting which side of the "line down the middle" he falls on? That is, if there was any question left in minds unfamiliar with queer studies that Hathaway wasn't straight; kissing and cuddling with a woman would probably have meant identification to me even a few years ago.
And I think that's why I had to watch this episode twice. I never planned to go into religion as a career, but like Hathaway I had an extremely religious phase. I don't remember doing or saying anything homophobic, but that may just be because I was practically ignorant of the existence of anything but heterosexuality until I was in seventh grade. I thought for a few minutes that Hathaway's transformation from conservative would-be priest to liberal, queer-community-informed sergeant was unrealistic...then I remembered my own growth over the past ten to twelve years. Granted, I was and am significantly younger than Hathaway would have been at both start and present. But still, that radical change, that irrepressible knowledge that I once did and said things that today make me wince at myself, and that desire to confront things that make me uncomfortable are all reasons why "Life Born of Fire" merited a second viewing. I'm probably more annoyed, not less, now that I've seen it again and thought over the points that stood out most to me...but I'm also grateful for the people in my life who helped teach me how to think critically about why shows like Inspector Lewis can seem progressive while also being subtly homophobic.
~~~
I agree with most of what you wrote but I saw the backstory about Feardorcha's sex-change somewhat differently. I felt that the fact that he wasn't actually transsexual was, well, somehow the point/reason for his behaviour.
ReplyDeleteWe learn that he described it as 'his sacrifice' and later apparently even told other people that he had died (admittedly I think we only hear that from Zoe who had obvious reasons for wanting to make them believe that).
For me that showed that Will then realized that pressuring F. into doing that was wrong and the guilt he felt over that was at least as much reason for his suizide as being brainwashed by homophobes.
tl;dr I saw it rather as a plot-point and not as a wrong interpretation of transsexuality.
I really wish that lgbt-characters (or any minorities) would feature more in (crime-)shows as, well, normal side-characters without the plot centering around that fact (which in crime-shows usuallymeans they're either the victim or the killer). I also have yet to see an episode that features a character in a wheelchair who isn't either faking it or taking revenge on the person who is responsible for it. (That is a rant for a different day, sorry)
(Minor nitpick: Lewis and Downton are both ITV-shows, not all British television is BBC)
Transsexuality isn't something I'm as familiar with, which is why I focused more on homosexuality in the post, but you make a good point about the driving force behind Feardorcha's behavior. It did stand out to me that Zoe actually said, "I didn't do it for him, I did it for me," since so often women in TV shows don't do anything for themselves (heh, except murder?), but I didn't think on it as much as other things. Thanks for pointing that out! (But I'm also not incredibly confident in most viewers' ability understand that F. wasn't actually transsexual.)
ReplyDeleteI'd be interested in the wheelchair rant. Ableism's another issue that's sadly new on my radar.
About BBC--mostly I'm embarrassed I didn't bother to look it up. But I may not change it, since "what I've seen of British television" would make an already clunky title even worse.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
I'm sure you're right in doubting most viewers' ability to see the difference between Zoe and somebody who doesn't think their gender reassignment (is that the correct term?) as an unimaginable sacrifice.
DeleteIf you care to watch more Lewis episodes, in one of them you'll hear James say something that's asinine and wrong on at least three levels of which one is the fact that he/the writer thinks Zoe is transsexual. Also, I've seen an interview where Laurence Fox, who plays James, refers to Life Born of Fire and talks about Hathaway's "transsexual love". So if the people making the show don't get the difference...
I think you are underestimating the intelligence of the audience. I thought it was blatantly obvious that "Zoe" did not identify with transgender, hence the ''sacrifice''. I think if people didn't get that, or think that people are that daft, well, lets just suffice it to say the writers I think went out of there way to make that point.
DeleteAlso, Hathaway was educated in Cambridge, not Oxford.
Also, the last comment has some very good points.
I saw your post on Tumblr and enjoyed reading this.
ReplyDeleteI once calculated that there are about 12 LGBTQ characters (James excluded) in the 27 episodes of Lewis. None of them are women. Maybe two of them aren't either villains or stereotypes and/or end up dead. And a couple of them fit in all three categories. In other words, Lewis is not a very good show when it comes to positive/non-stereotypical depictions of LGBTQ characters. (I have to admit, though, that some of those 12 characters are my favourites for various reasons.)
Anyway, I think that Jonjo in Life Born of Fire is a quite decent, non-flaming character who's either gay or bi. I know he doesn't actually say it, and we see him at the club with two women, but his computer screen shows a picture of Oscar Wilde and the wall above his desk is covered with pictures of half-naked men. It may be clichéd but still. It would've been better if they'd given him a boyfriend, of course, to make the episode more balanced what with Feardorcha and Will's hopeless relationship. (None of the LGBTQ characters in Lewis are ever shown to be in a happy relationship, although their love life (or the lack of it) is often part of the plot.)
"Obviously any gay man would be willing to undergo a sex change, since the only thing that matters is who they love, not their own body, autonomy, and identity. (Seriously!)"
I've found that the least enfuriating way of interpreting the whole thing is to see it as some sort of extreme, exaggerated tale of caution, a warning against losing those things (body, identity and autonomy) because of love. Feardorcha sacrificed everything, but it didn't help. It didn't help because there was nothing wrong with him in the first place. The way he kept saying "there's nothing wrong with you" to James was doubly heartbreaking, because he was talking about himself as well. Will was the one with a problem in their relationship and in need of a change. (Somehow I doubt he ever volunteered for what Feardorcha went through, though.)
As for James and the car scene, I think it's a beautiful and remarkably realistic depiction of somebody trying to say that they think they are bisexual. James doesn't deny being gay, he doesn't say he's straight; instead he gives that little speech about boys and girls and a straight line in the middle and how to define who belongs to which group. Nobody does that if they're sure they're straight. Like you said, there's no reson not to identify as straight. Likewise, if he's gay, why not either say it or lie about it? (By the way, I don't think saying "I'm gay" is easier than admitting being horrible to a friend when they come out to you. Sadly.) If he were asexual, I doubt he'd goad Robbie into asking the question in the first place or make such a big deal about it. Also, I don't think he'd talk about gay and straight stereotypes if he wanted to say "I'm asexual." At least I can't see how that would be relevant.
"Because really, the simple reading of the episode that most viewers would give it does leave us with straight-as-rail Hathaway. I might see the magazine and snack as a joke at his own expense to thank and apologize to Lewis, but wouldn't most people see it as Hathaway admitting which side of the "line down the middle" he falls on?"
*nods* It definitely looks like somebody thought there had better be something very "heterosexual" in that last scene, just in case. I'm pretty simple when it comes to reading what I see, and I certainly didn't get the joke aspect of it before I read about it somewhere. Before that I was really baffled because the car scene and the "what's wrong with me" conversation had me convinced James was something other than straight.
Seeing how Hathaway had a female love interest in season three with Fiona Mckitrick (sp?), he seems to be normal. Unless they are pushing the gay thing in later seasons, which movies/tv seemed to be doing.
ReplyDeleteHey, your points are interesting and I agree with a lot of them, but I think considering a lot of things that this was in fact a progressive episode. I do think it would be nice to see some non-stereotyped gay characters (and some more women, jeeze) but I did get the feeling that will's friend Jonjo was gay and not overly sterotyped (that could just be an assumption on my part, but the writing of the episode lead me to believe this.) Also I know the norm nowadays is to come down hard on stereotyping, because no matter how much easier it might seem to people, no one can be put into a tidy little group of same-same individuals. That being said I have had a conversation with a friend of mine, who is very tall, very clever, good at telling a story and they are also gay (not that it is any of our business), but he said that although the stereotype of a flamboyant gay man if quite annoying and frustrating, at times he finds himself identifying quite closely with these characteristics. I think it is clear to say that there are many sides to each person, we are all complex individuals, and that it would be great to see some contradictions in characters that are often stereotyped. But I think it is fair to say that writing a show that pleases everyone is impossible, and that the BBC has come a long way and I believe they will get better as time goes by at writing these complexities and contradictions that the LGBT community (and every other community and person) deserves.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing I got from this episode, that perhaps some of the other viewers did not, was that Hathaway wasn't gay, and neither was he straight and the comment he made about there being a line in between was his way of explaining or challenging that popular belief that people fit into tidy categories. I thought the episode was touching on the complexity of feelings and beliefs and love, how they change and ultimately how nothing is ever straightforward with people.
(also I thought the suicide by fire at the end was a bit much, although it has been known to happen, but "Zoe" barely flinched when you could still see them in the fire! and no scream??)
Anyway just a few of my thoughts from my mind. Also it was really nice to read this article actually because there isn't much else on this topic that I can see.
I came across this blog quite accidentally while I was looking for something else and I just had to comment, being British and quite possibly having a different view on this subject to those in the US.
ReplyDeleteFirstly, and just to clear up any misconception about the fine actor, Loz Fox was often given scripts which clarified Hathaway's sexuality but he told the execs point blank that he wouldn't play those lines. He thought - and I have to agree - that whether or not James was gay, straight or something in between had no relevance to the storylines and was none of the viewers business.
Secondly, I think you missed the point that James didn't react badly to Will coming out to him because of personal homophobia but because of his deeply ingrained Catholicism which he felt was the core of who he was.
My last point is that you have to understand the kind of place Oxford is. There are two sides to this magnificent city, the highbrow, cultural academic world wherein being LGBTQ is either something to be hushed up for the sake of appearances or for fear of the Catholic church which is to this day the most powerful institution in the city, or a "cause" to be heralded by (usually straight) students. The other half of the city are the council estates where even the hint of anything but heterosexuality will get you queer bashed and the police will do nothing.
It may come across as strange to you, but trust me, Lewis is the most believable account of British culture on our tv.
Loved the whole piece! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteGreat article, thank you. Came across it while watching Lewis. Also from the UK and just wanted to clear up the thing about the magazine and the chocolate bar. Loaded is of course one of those magazines which is mainly women in underwear, if anything. The chocolate bar is a Yorkie, and for many years their slogan was "not for girls". It's seen as a jokey shorthand for something that is very manly. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkie_(chocolate_bar)
ReplyDeleteGreat article, thank you. Came across it while watching Lewis. Also from the UK and just wanted to clear up the thing about the magazine and the chocolate bar. Loaded is of course one of those magazines which is mainly women in underwear, if anything. The chocolate bar is a Yorkie, and for many years their slogan was "not for girls". It's seen as a jokey shorthand for something that is very manly. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkie_(chocolate_bar)
ReplyDeleteI agree with most of it, but you make a few errors. You kind of dodge the bisexual possibilities of Hathaway, which was kind of implied to me by him noting that people like Lewis incorrectly imagine a "line" between hetero and homo. That honestly sounds more like a rant by bisexuals I've often heard than something a gay or asexual person would say, because it calls attention to the massive grey area between "all gay" and "all straight," and the lack of a binary.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I really don't like the description of his religious beliefs as a "phase." You don't almost become a priest due to a "phase" (it requires college study THEN years of seminary training), and we've seen Hathaway still has strong religious leanings. And contrary to many people's beliefs, you CAN be a Catholic and want to support LGBT people.
Interesting first couple of points, but I have to disagree with the third. Admittedly, I can't comment on the Oxford council estates, but I am a Brit living near Oxford and teaching at the University from time to time. In an academic context, I think that increasingly no one cares whether you're straight, gay or inbetween...as long as your research or studies are good, why would they? If the Catholic Church has some secret hold over Oxford then in my over ten years of teaching there, it's clearly passed me by - although I do know that historically the church in general was deeply involved in college life. Finally, I really can't agree that Lewis is the most believable account of British culture on TV. I always enjoyed watching Morse because it was some rose/blood tinted fantasy of academia and Lewis is the same. I watched this episode on Netflix and found some of the characters so ridiculous (especially the silly stereotypes) that I assumed it was really old.
ReplyDeleteNevertheless, I really enjoyed this episode. I assumed that the killer wasn't transsexual and that that was the whole point - that he'd done something totally wrong for him because of love and it was neither necessary nor a solution. Of course it's a crazy bizarre thing to do...but this is Lewis and most episodes feature an amazingly attractIve inexplicably single thirty year old woman with the hots for Lewis. I don't think they're too bothered by realism;-)
Still, it was good that Hathaway left it hanging. I assumed he was bi and the loaded and the Yorkie was a big joke. I'd like to think that British audiences are fairly sophisticated and would spot the humour.
I know this is so much later than your original post. I am on my sixth way through Lewis and do love the show. Life Born 0f Fire is one of my favorite episodes. My only real comment is that Hathaway went to Cambridge, not Oxford. Look forward to reading more of your posts.
ReplyDeleteHi, just found your article because I was searching for "James Hathaway religion" because I.dont read him as straight (same as me) and I'm currently becoming more connected with religion again and wanted to read about characters who I can identify with (btw this is a reason why I love Father Brown - because he doesn't condem or anything gay/trans people - and because they're not always the victim or the killer) and I found your article highly interesting and yeah, I agree that "Zoe" isn't trans.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your article and the comments I still can decide as what I see James but definitely not straight!! Dk
Another British (?) movie that came to my mind that's rather progressive (especially for its time) when it comes to the portrayal of gay characters (ofc only gay man but whateffs) is "Four weddings and a funeral". I know Gareth gets killed (I still don't like that since it's rather unnecessary even for the plot...) but his and Matthew's relationship doesn't get portrayed through their sex but through their domestic life as a couple, none of the people who know them sees it as anything but normal (at least that's how I understand it) and they don't let Matthew be forever alone after Gareth dies (in the photo collage at the end one can see that he found someone) - unlike some other movies (looking at you "Mamma Mia 1/2" where everyone (!) gets to find someone except Harry...).
Dont know this is just what came to my mind while reading your article:)
And I agree with @satireknight one can be religious and support LGBT+ right (or be part of the community oneself for that matter) :)
I only just started watching Lewis, and this was the first episode where it felt really, embarrassingly dated to me. I was struck midway thru by a transphobic joke that Nova Rose makes to Lewis, and the twist at the end made me throw up my hands like, whelp, this whole thing was obviously written by people who not only were not themselves trans, but quite possibly had never even taken the time to... talk to a single trans person, ever? I was like, really, you're gonna go to the trouble of making an episode that's ostensibly about how bad homophobia is, but at the same time be weirdly and unnecessarily transphobic at every opportunity? I just... I dunno, I had a lot of love for this series, but I hope whoever wrote this episode, like Hathaway, looks back at it and feels ashamed.
ReplyDeleteA pathetic episode featuring a tired plot which was common in US films and cop shows in the 1990s. Psychopathic trans woman ends up the murderer and, at the same time, is pathetically lovelorn. There's always a denouement where the "truth" of the trans woman is revealed... SHE'S REALLY A MAN! As a trans woman who likes Brit detective shows (vastly prefer Endeavour to Lewis) and has enjoyed many other performances by Rachel Stirling (who reminds me so much of her mom, Diana Rigg), this was an embarrassment, and everyone connected with the episode should, indeed, be ashamed of themselves they took part in it. Well, we know Lawrence Fox won't be ashamed because the man is an utter wanker. As to the writer, Tom MacRae, it's far too often that some of the most transphobic films and tv shows are perpetrated by gay, cisgender men and, sadly, this is yet another example. Dear gay cis men, you are not trans, have zero understanding of what it means to be trans, so kindly stop exploiting us so you can sell your sensationalistic scripts.
ReplyDelete