My birthday weekend was pretty good, all things considered, though I missed sharing chocolate-covered strawberries or killer chocolate cake with the housemates. But Mom made me a delicious yellow cake with chocolate frosting--my favorite--and Kate worked hard to keep my candles alight until it was time to blow them out.
On Friday, after I finished my cleaning, I curled up with The Count of Monte Cristo and later traded it off for my laptop to work on my story. I'd been stumped about where to start it, but then I just got it last Monday on my walk to work. So I hurried up, got to my waiting cafe early, and started writing. I'm not ready to post any of it yet, but for the time being you can get a little sense of what it used to be if you read "Goblinized" over on DeviantArt. It's just a few paragraphs of a silly idea, and I've gone quite a different direction since I wrote that, but the character is still involved--though in a smaller role and a different form.
Anyway, I was writing when Kate rang the doorbell--came home early for someone with so many after-school activities. I'd like to flatter myself that it was at least a little bit for me. We watched Pirates of the Caribbean together, as you may have seen on my Twitter, since I realized I hadn't watched it since she'd given me my own copy of the DVD for my previous birthday and it's one of my favorite fun movies.
Dinner was white chicken enchiladas, a favorite of mine because we always make extras that I get to keep eating throughout the week, with mango on the side. Yum! Guess what I'm having for lunch today...
One of the gifts I was most excited to see was the next four of Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels. So you can probably guess what I did most of the day on Saturday, with a break to listen to the radio play version of Neverwhere.
Welp, that's all for this rather boring entry. Thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday this weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment