Saturday, September 16, 2017

Our Week Out West, Day 4: Water, Water Everywhere

We started out with an easier hike to warm up: the Emerald Pools. I was honestly a bit surprised to find that after more than ten years, this is easier trail is still probably my favorite hike in Zion (of those I’ve done, obviously). It did show a little more wear and tear than others, since it was accessible to many more people, but it was possible to find quiet spots and actually hear a bit of nature around you. Plus the pools are just beautiful.

The waterfall at the lowest of the three pools

The view up from my favorite little clearing, 
which had a little 12"x6" channel cut into the rock 
where the water ran out of the second pool and, eventually, 
over the waterfall. Erosion in action!

This is, however, one place were the disadvantage of letting someone else take most of the pictures becomes obvious, because Areg apparently didn’t take many pictures at all here. Sigh. Well, that’s what I get, I guess. Still, there was one odd occurrence: the last time I was there, when I was maybe 11 or 12, there were gigantic icicles falling off the cliff wall onto the stones around the pool. This time, there was a huge crack and the sound of falling stone. I think that cliff has something against me, even though I love it.

Maybe the cliff doesn't like us,
but now we don't like the cliff.

Beautiful view down Zion canyon.

Next we hopped the canyon shuttle to the very last stop for…the Narrows! Like Angel’s Landing, this is one of Zion park’s most famous hikes, and for good reason. It’s gorgeous the whole way, with surprisingly varied scenery, some greenery up overhead, and towering cliffs on either side. Again, it was busy but not so busy that we were annoyed, even though we arrived later in the morning when more people were headed out. In the early afternoon we found a lovely little side canyon to explore. It required a bit more athletic maneuvering, which we weren’t quite prepared for, so we found a lovely little dry spot for lunch before heading back downstream.

Toward the beginning of the hike. 
Everyone seemed to have rented long wooden walking poles/staffs 
and wet suit-type shoes, but we were fine without. 
I guess the staffs might have made slot canyon maneuvering a little easier.


A cool part of the canyon where the water had undercut the cliff.

If Sarah fits into small places, Areg fits into big places!

Getting narrower up the Narrows. 
This was about where we found the first side slot canyon.

I like our power poses here!

Up the slot canyon.

On our way back down, we found that someone 
had built these little stacks of stones.

Areg and I had opted to wear our sneakers instead of our hiking boots, and I also wore the brace I’d brought. My sneakers were toast by the end of the day—but then, I have had them since 2009. As for the ankle, since the water was nice and cool, it was like a day-long ice. The only problem with that, though, was that I probably went further than was wise. Ah well, it was totally worth it.

Fortunately, this was not my ankle by the end of the day.
I have no idea whose ankle/leg it is. Deer, probably?

Finally, we rounded out the day with a delicious, well-earned meal at the Whiptail Grill, which I think has been converted from an old gas station. Cool venue, awesome outdoor seating, and good food with the added spice of hunger—a good end to a good day.

My phone's not the best at pictures in the dark, 
but hopefully it gives you an idea of the setup.
Funnily enough, this was not the only gas station we saw
that had been converted into a restaurant!


For more pictures, check out Areg's Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment