In the past two years I have:
- Worked with professors I admire
- Earned an award for my writing
- Graduated from Muhlenberg College with the highest honors
- Traveled to Eastern Europe alone for a two-week tour
- Attended my grandparents’ 50th Anniversary with all their children and grandchildren
- Graduated from the University of Denver Publishing Institute
- Driven alone for most of a week out West
- Conquered Angel’s Landing in Zion National Park twelve years after failing to finish
- Reunited with my best friend to see her marry the man she loves (well, attended their reception)
- Worked my first truly unpleasant less-than-minimum-wage job at the local pizza place
- Interned in New York City
- Translated the citations for an entire scholarly work
- Started my first job, one that I enjoy and learn a great deal from
- Signed an author
- Moved into New York City
- Signed a lease for an apartment
- And, as of today, moved out of my parents’ house
I hesitated to list all of this, as it’s not my intention to
show off or brag (though I am proud of all I’ve accomplished)—just to
demonstrate that most of these items had a specific time frame attached to
them: graduation, travel, interning, finding an apartment…. All of that had
dates or deadlines.
I’m entering 2014 with no schedules, no pressing to-do
lists. For the first time in my memory, there are no societal structures or groups
of people expecting me to do X, Y, and Z before the year is out. Oh, there’s
plenty that I plan and hope to do, of course, but these things are not restricted
to a finite amount of time. They are for
me to pursue and accomplish at my own pace, in my own time.
It feels so incredibly freeing.
I can’t tell you what’s ahead for me this year because I don’t know! It’s so exciting! I can’t
wait to see what 2014 has in store for me, my family, and all my friends. I already
listed a lot of people for whom I am especially thankful in my Thanksgiving post, but a full list of everyone to whom I’m grateful would probably take me
into next year to complete (even if that's "only" about six hours away).
So, to everyone who is and isn’t reading this, to all my
friends and family, coworkers past and present, fellow and former students and
travelers: thank you so much for making life so wonderful! I wish you all the
best in 2014 and look forward to sharing it with as many of you as possible.
Happy New Year!
-- Sarah 8-)
No comments:
Post a Comment