Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Loot

Last Friday was free book day for Macmillan employees...and man, did I bring home a haul! No links this time--too many books! Here they are, for posterity:

  1. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend - Matthew Dicks
  2. The High City - Cecelia Holland
  3. The Good Theif's Guide to Venice - Chris Ewan
  4. Brokeland - Emily Barton
  5. Nick of Time - Ted Bell
  6. The Long Song - Andrea Levy
  7. Memory & Dream - Charles de Lint
  8. The Firefly Letters - Margarita Engle
  9. The Space Between Us - Thirty Umrigar
  10. The One-Eyed Man - L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
  11. Devil's Trill - Gerald Elias
  12. Prophet of Bones - Ted Kosmatka
  13. Secrets of the Fire Sea - Stephen Hunt
  14. Gorgeous East - Robert Girardi
  15. The Cusanus Game - Wolfgang Jeschke
  16. Charles Jessold, Considered as a Murderer - Wesley Stace
  17. In the Shadows of Paris - Claude Izner
  18. Weather Witch - Shannon Delany
  19. Quest for a Maid - Francis Mary Hendry
  20. Bridge of Time - Lewis Bazbee
  21. The Cairo Diary - Maxim Chattam
  22. The Gilded Lily - Deborah Swift
  23. The Male Body - Susan Bordo
  24. The Paperbark Shoe - Goldie Goldbloom
  25. All Men of Genius - Lev A.C. Rosen
I made two trips to browse. 

That's one nonfiction book, maybe four fiction books set in the present day, three steampunk(-ish), eleven historical fiction, two high fantasy, and goodness knows what else. Aside from my pitiful nonfiction haul--yay!

Let's see how many of these I actually read. The delightful thing about free book day is that if I don't like a book I can just bring it back to the charity shelf with no guilt. 


The "Loot" I Wish I Had

Apartment hunting has not been going well, though my future housemate and I did notice today that there's been a surge of mid-month postings, so all is not lost. At the moment, though, I'm planning to move back in with my family for the month of November and commute from New Jersey. This is going to be significantly less painful than it sounds. As when I was in my internship, I'll sleep on the bus in the morning and read on the bus in the evening. 

And, of course, I am ready and eager to drop this plan if a good apartment comes along. 

That's it for now. I'll be spending Thursday, Friday, and Saturday with the family. We're going to see Macbeth, watch the hawk migration, have a bonfire, and check out the Lititz zombie run! So excited!


2 comments:

  1. Free book day is cool. Needless to say, we never had free needle day at BD. That's a lot of books...plenty of reading for if you end up on the bus for a while. They have such interesting titles!

    I remain optimistic that you will find a good apartment by the end of the month.

    Doug/Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expect the best, plan for the worst. I strive for pragmatic optimism. (-8

      Delete