Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Work and a Room

Today when I talked to my mom on the phone, she pointed out that I had been remiss in keeping Twitter, Facebook, etc. up to date with my current situation. Thing is, I don't just have the new job to talk about today. I also have...

...an apartment!

It was very quick. During the last week of my internship, I started looking at PadMapper on the recommendation of a coworker, scoping out prices and locations. I arranged for some meetings, saw apartments in Harlem and Brooklyn, and finally settled on this one in the Lower East Side. Check it out: 


Isn't it awesome? There's another window in front of the chair and a closet to the left as you walk into the room. Probably a bit too much space for me, really, but it's great. 

I'm living with two adults--I mean, older than me, the noob (as Kate would say)--past their twenties. The guy with the lease is Australian, has lived in New York for seven years, and owns to bars, one in the Lower East Side (LES) and one in Brooklyn. He's very into sports, especially swimming. His grandfather was in the Olympics in the 1930s and won more than one gold medal. I've hardly seen the person renting the other room. She's in film production, working with projects that shoot on location in New York, and she's usually out all night. The one time I saw her, she'd just gotten home from work as I was making breakfast at 6:15 in the morning! 

In addition to the extra space, there's a full kitchen, a washer and dryer, and a place to keep a bike downstairs. 

It's not perfect, of course. If it was, I'd be living with even more people my own age. But it's great for a first place to live. 

Now on to The Job!

I won't apologize for all the exclamation points. It's exciting.

I work in the Flatiron Building. Over lunch on Monday I saw more people than I expected looking up at it, so after casually finding a spot where I wouldn't be observed (Muhlenberg's social psych experiments have made me very self-conscious about looking up just because someone else is) I looked up too. And lo, a rainbow did shine forth in a halo around the majestic edifice in which I am to spend my days toiling in the name of publishing and capitalism. </end olde talke> I couldn't take a picture because I could barely look long enough to see it, the sky was so bright--I was hoping that one of the many pictures I saw being taken would get posted on the internet so I could direct you to it, but no such luck, apparently. 

Monday was a full day of orientation: benefits, perks, insurance, technology, clocking hours, all capped of by an editorial meeting in which I followed only about 80% of what was happening. The rest of this week was and is full of more personal editorial-assistant training from other EAs and the Assistant Editor I'll be working with/for. Everyone has been so nice, friendly, and helpful. I'm in a bit of a spot because office reorganization has temporarily landed me in the flat side of the building while the rest of editorial is in the point (!), and there's a card-swipe door between the two that I won't be able to get through on my own until I get my ID. I should be back with the rest of the team in a few weeks. 

I'm sure I'll have more interesting details to talk about as I learn and do more, but for now I'll keep this post incredibly short (for me) and get back to hunting down easy, tasty recipes. Rhinophant can't satisfy forever. If you have any suggestions, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment